What kind of license do I need to sell alcoholic beverages?

If you wish to sell beer or wine, you can apply for a consumption-on-premise license or a package license. There are no restrictions on the number of licenses issued to sell beer and wine. If you wish to sell liquor, a quota license must be purchased from another license holder. These are limited in number throughout the state, based on county population.

What Kind of license do I need?
There are 3 types of licenses that most people in retail will inquire about.

1) Quota – Full Liquor License

These licenses must be purchased/transferred from an existing license holder. The license can be used in a package-liquor store, bar or a restaurant facility that does NOT meet the SRX requirements

2) Full License / SRX Restaurant
SRX Licenses can be applied for directly from the state if you meet a certain criteria, dependent upon the number of seats / square footage of your restaurant. *Must sell at least 51% in food sales

3) Beer and Wine License
These licenses can be applied for directly from the ABT and can be used in either a convenience store, bar, or restaurant setting.

I own a restaurant, and wish to sale alcoholic beverages; what kind of license do I need?

A special (SRX) restaurant alcoholic beverage license can be obtained (if certain requirements are met) at any time, and is an exception to the number of licenses per county restrictions. The SRX license allows you to sell beer, wine, and liquor for consumption on-premises, in connection with a restaurant. However, a restaurant must derive 51% of their revenue from food and non-alcoholic beverages to qualify for this special license. If this percentage cannot be met and maintained, the restaurant would not qualify for the special license and would then be required to obtain a regular (quota)

What is a quota license?

For every increase in the population of a county by 7500 residents, a new
quota license is created. In order to obtain a quota (liquor) license, you must either buy an existing license, or enter the quota drawing to win the right to apply for a quota license. The winner may then apply for the issuance of the new license.

Acquire a liquor license button